CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

Mommy surfer hero

I've lived in Southern California roughly 90% of my 3 decades on this planet. I've had a love affair with the world-famous coastline appropriate to it's majesty and allure. I grew up body surfing, sunbathing, and boogie boarding on the beaches of this beautiful state, and I've also learned a healthy respect for the power and intensity of the surf. Nonetheless, my dream of learning to truly surf has remained alive without realization all these years. My good friends, beautiful and amazing Eva, and her abnormally wonderful hubby Mat, helped make my dream a reality. Mat was generous enough to bring a foam board for me to learn, AND take on the responsibility of my boys. Eva risked humiliation and embarrassment galore as she accompanied me out into the surf amongst a dozen or so much more experienced surfers. My body didn't leave my board, but I was able to overcome my fear of wiping out enough to catch a handful of waves into the shore. Thank you, my dear friends for the experience which wouldn't have happened without you.


As I walked freezing and exhilarated back on shore to relieve Mat of bbsitting duties, my 2 screaming children came running towards me. "MOMMY!!! YOU DID IT? Were you scared? Did you have fun? Mommy, you cool surfer mommy. You my best mommy, you beautiful giwul." They were even more excited and proud than I was.

Wow. A notch in my belt for a memory I'll never forget. 

6 love notes:

byers babes said...

Good for you, Steph! I love it when you write what your kids say. I can imagine them saying it. You are the best mommy and a beautiful giwul. :)

Nocella Clan said...

You hot little mama! So we can go to Disneyland together, just never the beach! I can't wait to meet your boys, they sound so cute!

Karlea said...

GO MAMA!! Way to tackle a dream and get out there. Now you need to teach me!! By the way...your hair is DARLING! I love, love, love it. It looks great that short!

Robins Nest said...

I love it. We need to have a repeat soon.

Lea Fuhriman said...

Awh Steph I'm so happy you finally got to surf! (I am jealous that is somehting I never go to try in LA) PS I'm couting on you to teach Caleb now one day. :)

carrie said...

You go girl!! You look so cute with your board in hand and wetsuit...you look like a true surfer. We have to go again soon!