CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Home of Brotherly Love

It's June 2005, and we're eagerly awaiting to be picked by another birthmother for our next child. I'm sooo hoping for a little girl. As much as I love my Treyden and everything that boyhood had brought to our home, I wanted an excuse to visit the more feminine (and WAY cuter - might I add) section of Baby Gap. I can remember the phone call when our caseworker, Todd informed me that we had been picked. I was standing in our family room and I had been playing with Trey. I could hear the tone in Todd's voice as the excitement built. "you've been picked by a birthmother. She's due July 2nd and is having a BOY." I could not contain my emotion. I grabbed my little boy and we danced around the room for about 30 seconds before I clamored to the phone to make David's day...


...fast forward nearly 3 years later...I thank Heavenly Father for unanswered prayers. I have 2 of the most loving sons a mother could ask for. They have loved and adored each other since the day Caleb was born. Even as a newborn, Caleb would literally watch Trey as he played around the room. As he got older, but not yet mobile, he would cry when Trey would leave the room. Trey would try desperately to pull Caleb out the back door to play in the backyard with him, but crawling was still a hope for the future. 


Even today you can see the closeness these special boys have with one another. Trey laughs at Caleb's mischievous little pranks (even when they're directed at Trey), and Caleb wants to be just like his big brother and do everything he does. They help each other when they have a chore to do. They comfort each other when they're sad. They even share their ice cream and chocolate (if you knew Trey - you'd know what a big deal this is). Trey looks out for Caleb with big-brotherly maturity way beyond his years. Caleb is so quick to apologize to Trey even if he wasn't the offender. They get in trouble together, they play together, they sleep together. Never have either one of them slept better than when they've been in a room together. I'm so grateful for my boys who teach me so much about love. 

6 love notes:

carrie said...

What a great post about brotherly love. The pictures you put on there are priceless. Loved the one with the boys in their tuxedo's with Trey's hand on Caleb.--sooo cute!

J-Dawg said...

What sweet and great pictures of the boys!!! I have several favorites-- the one where they are on the ground and smiling, the one where they are looking out the window together, the one in the tuxedos.

When I was pregnant with Lauren, I really wanted a boy because I wanted Jonathan to have a brother/best friend. But I too am grateful for unanswered prayers because I can not imagine our family without sweet little Lauren. I love the way she lights up when Jonathan talks to her. And I love the way that he is already protective of his little sister. I think it is the best to see how our kids interact and love each other; it is what being a mom is all about. :)

Lea Fuhriman said...

I had forgotten about you dancing around when you got the call.... :)That time brings back a lot of bitter sweet memories for me of course but looking at the pictures of Caleb and Trey today I still KNOW with all my heart Caleb is where he should be! I love the special bond they have thanks for sharing on your blog I love these two little boys and their wonderful Mom!

Whitney said...

What a sweet post. This makes me so excited to have another one. So many people comment and say things like, "Oh...two is FOUR times harder than one" or "You're gonna have your hands full." It's rare that someone actually says something positive about having two. Thanks for the uplifting, refreshing post, Steph. It's so sweet to read how much your boys love each other. What a blessing!

Tierney said...

I'm so glad you posted again! I kept checking back and hoping you had a new post. They'll have so much fun together being so close as they grow up! I hope you're doing well - I haven't talked to you in what feels like ages!

byers babes said...

love these pics. I have a cute pic of Trey hugging Kelly in that same striped tank top. Love that kid.